When Is the Best Time to Replace Your Roof (Pros & Cons of Each Season)
March 2, 2023
6 minutes read
If you’re planning a roof replacement, one of the first questions you may have is, “What time of year is it best time to replace your roof?”
The best time to replace your roof may depend on the region of the country you call home. Roofers will be happy to replace your roof most of the year, but here are the pros and cons of roof replacement for each season.
Does It Matter When You Schedule Your Roof Replacement?
A skilled professional roofing company can replace or repair your roof any time of year, so from a quality standpoint, the time of year you schedule your roof replacement doesn’t matter. However, these factors can determine the best season for roof replacement.
Roofers can’t work when it’s raining or snowing, so some seasons of the year can make roofing impossible. Other times of the year can have risks of storms or high temperatures that can figure into scheduling a roof replacement. Tornados and hurricanes can increase demand for roof replacement.
During months that are more popular for roof replacement, available dates may be short. During times of the year that are not as popular for roof replacement, roofing companies may not have as many roofers available for your project.
The season when you schedule your roof replacement can determine the price you’ll pay. Some roofing companies charge more during the months when roof replacement is in high demand. Scheduling your roof replacement during the off-season can trim the cost of the $8,000 to $20,000 you’ll spend on replacing your roof.
You shouldn’t schedule your life around your roof replacement. The season you choose to replace your roof may depend on your plans and finances. For example, you may not want to schedule your roof replacement for the holiday season or while you’re vacationing.
The Condition of Your Roof
Some roof replacements can be planned, such as when a roof is old but not leaking. However, you will need to replace a roof that’s been damaged or destroyed by a storm immediately to preserve your home’s structural integrity.
When Is the Best Time to Replace Your Roof?
If you have a leaking or damaged roof, the best time to replace your roof is as soon as you notice the leak. Planned roof replacement is preferable since you can plan your roof replacement. Each season has advantages and disadvantages when it comes to roof replacement, including these:
Winter weather varies around the U.S. Months that are icy and frigid in Wisconsin and Minnesota can be warm and pleasant in spots such as southern California, Arizona, and Florida. Since wintertime can be a slower time for some roofing companies, you might get a better price for your roofing project.
- It can be a temperate time of year for parts of the southern and western U.S.
- Fewer wintertime roof replacements for some roofing companies means you’ll have an easy time getting scheduled.
- Prices for roof replacements may be lower in winter.
- Ice and snow can make roof replacement impossible in some parts of the country.
- Cold temperatures can cause some roofing materials to become brittle.
The spring months of the year may not have the chance of snow and ice, but springtime can bring windy weather and severe storms in some parts of the country. Early spring can be a good time to repair winter damage to your roof or replace it, but rain can cause you to reschedule.
- Clear days in the spring can be great for replacing a roof.
- Spring is a great time to repair winter damage and prepare for storms.
- Roof replacement can be part of spring home improvement projects.
- Spring weather includes tornados in the Midwest.
- Rain and thunderstorms can derail your roof replacement plans.
Summertime is one of the most popular times of the year for roof replacement in much of the country, but in some areas, such as the desert southwest, summer has extremely high temperatures.
In states like Florida, hurricanes can form in the summer and early fall, so roof replacement may be needed afterward, which can make summer roof replacements hard to schedule.
- Weather can be clearer and balmy in some parts of the country, so rain won’t be as much of a problem.
- Roofing companies may have more workers during the summer.
- Summer mornings can be perfect for roofing projects.
- Some areas of the country have summer temperatures in the triple digits.
- Hurricane season can delay roofing projects or increase demand for roof replacement afterward.
While you can schedule your roof replacement in any season, fall is the perfect time for replacing your roof in most of the U.S. Fall’s temperatures. The temperatures are cooler than in summer, and can have plenty of rain-free days. Unfortunately, fall’s often-ideal conditions for roofing can mean that it can be hard to schedule a roof replacement due to high demand.
- Clear weather and cooler temperatures make fall perfect for roof replacements.
- Fall is a great time to replace your roof ahead of winter weather.
- Many homeowners want to schedule roof replacements before the holiday season.
- Roof replacement is in demand during the fall, making scheduling a roof replacement more difficult.
- Roof replacement prices can be higher in the fall because of the demand.
The Bottom Line
When you choose to replace your roof can greatly influence the price of your roof replacement and how soon you can schedule your roof replacement. Each season has advantages and disadvantages for roof replacement that depend on where you live.
The season is an essential part of scheduling your roof replacement. The time of year and the condition of your roof are two key factors in scheduling your roof replacement. Talk with a trusted roofing contractor to find the best time to replace your roof.